27 December 2007

NetFlix Profiles

I discovered today that our new NetFlix subscription already has one of the features that I had always wished for with BlockBuster Online. NetFlix allows you to create multiple profiles, each with their own queue. You can assign the number of DVD "slots" assigned to that queue, so that the movies can be divided up between family members. Once a movie from that queue is returned, the next movie from that queue will be sent.

We always had trouble with BlockBuster when Eric ordered something like the entire season of "24" because it would send all three of the DVD's at once! Since each disc had several hours of shows to watch, it would take Eric a few days to get through each disc. In the meantime, no one else had any movies to watch, since the queue was tied up with the entire season. We tried to order each disc of the season individually, but then BlockBuster could never manage to send them in order, so you'd have to wait for the next one to come, so that you could watch it first...

I was glad to see that NetFlix has provisions for this, we'll see how it works... I entered the 34 movies that had been in my queue at BlockBuster into my NetFlix queue today. Then tonight I got several emails from BlockBuster saying that they had sent the next three movies, even though I cancelled my subscription yesterday! I guess that it is still active for another week or two...

No comments: