30 January 2008

This update addresses compatibility with Mac OS X

In the past two days, Apple has released updates to Keynote, Pages, Numbers, and tonight for iWeb, stating only that "This update addresses compatibility with Mac OS X."

Since these Apple applications only run on OS X, what else could it possibly be? I can't recall the last time that any software vendor was so vague about what was contained in an update... If they said that it was to improve compatibility with Leopard, I might understand, but they don't even specify what version of OS X is affected.

Last week, many issues with incompatibility related to the QuickTime 7.4 update were reported...

I know that we've had trouble with Numbers consuming large amounts of disk space before crashing when we try to print. I can't say that we have had any particular issues with the other apps, but I haven't tried using them much since I upgraded to Leopard.

I did have issues with iPhoto not being able to print. It would complain that "There are no themes installed" despite nearly 300 folders of themes in the /Library/Application Support/iPhoto/Themes directory. After repeatedly deleting all of the components, prefs and receipts for iPhoto, and repairing permissions, then reinstalling, and repairing permissions again, I was finally able to get it to recognize that the themes were indeed installed.

Its making me wonder if Apple has reached "critical mass" or "terminal velocity?"

No comments: